2015 OhioDance Fall Festival and Conference
Ohio University, Athens Ohio
OhioDance, the leading state-wide organization supporting diverse dance practices, held a fall festival Oct. 23-25, 2015. This event was co-hosted by Ohio University, School of Dance, Film, and Theater, Division of Dance in Athens, Ohio.
The theme and title of the conference, Dance Matters: Moving Forward, encompasses the idea that no matter what future changes may occur, dance and the arts will always forge ahead creatively, kinesthetically, and intellectually.
Special events included a dance performance, dance film showings, a regional roundtable centered around OhioDance’s Virtual Dance Collection, and discussion panels that encourage a dialogue between the pre-professional and professional world of dance, and those who teach, guide and lead in those areas. A master class from special guest dancer and choreographer, Kyle Abraham, was offered. Abraham is a 2013 MacArthur Fellow and owner of Kyle Abraham/Abraham.in.Motion. He uses a blend of movement styles to explore the relationship between identity and personal history.
Event highlights included:
- Oct. 23, 2015
- 3-5pm Abraham.In.Motion lecture demonstration
- 5:15-6:30pm African Dance with Dr. Zelma Badu-Younge
- 8:00 p.m. Dance Film
- Oct. 24, 2015
- 9:00am-5:45pm Ongoing classes, workshops, and discussions
- 10:15-11:45am Kyle Abraham Master Classes
- 12:15-1:15pm Kyle Abraham lecture
- Oct. 24, 7:00- 8:30 p.m. — Dance performance-Informal Showing
- Oct. 24, 9:00pm — Dance Films
- Oct. 25, 2015
- 10:00am-2:50pm Ongoing classes, workshops, and discussions
- 1:00-1:30pm Lunch Talk-Dancers Deserve Good Health and Healthcare, Dr. Jeff Russell, Assistant Professor of Athletic Training and Director of Science and Health in Artistic Performance (SHAPe) at OU.