2014 OhioDance Festival and Conference
OhioDance, the leading state-wide organization supporting diverse dance practices, co-hosted its regional fall festival at PlayhouseSquare in Cleveland. This year’s festival included partnerships with DANCECleveland, Cleveland State University, Department of Theatre and Dance as well as PlayhouseSquare.
The theme and title of the conference, Dance Matters: Fusion, is about fusing life, art, collaboration, science and health.
Special events included a free-to-the-public Dance Showcase at PlayhouseSquare featuring several of Northeast Ohio’s finest professional dance companies and artists, an informal showing of work, discussion panels and education sessions that encourage a dialogue between the pre-professional and professional world of dance, and those who teach, guide and lead in those areas.
The introduction of regional conferences gives those who can’t travel the opportunity to attend the festival. Reducing its carbon footprint is another way that OhioDance is committed to benefitting the communities that it serves in Ohio.
Event schedule included:
- 5-7, 2014 — Ongoing classes, workshops, and discussions for movers and non-movers
- Sept. 6, Master Class Special Guest Artist: Hubbard Street Dance Chicago company member, Johnny McMillan will teach repertoire of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago and Hubbard Street 2.
- 5, 7:00-8:30 p.m. — Dance Showcase at PlayhouseSquare – Special guests artists, members of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, will perform an excerpt of resident choreographer Alejandro Cerrudo’s PACOPEPEPLUTO. Northeast Ohio performances by Inlet Dance Theatre, Dance/Theatre Collective, Sujatha Srinivasan, Neos Dance Theatre, Emily Crofford, Verb Ballets, ShowPeace Entertainment and Ohio Dance Theatre.
- 6 Panel discussion on careers in dance.
- 6 — Dance Education and Convening session, Dance Film showing, and pizza
- 6 – Film “Great Performances: Dancing at Jacob’s Pillow: Never Stand Still.”
- 7 — Informal Showing of pre-professional and professional work
Events took place in studios at PlayhouseSqaure, the Idea Center and Cleveland State University’s Middough “CSU Arts Campus”, Cleveland.